Property worth millions of Shillings destroyed in a devastating inferno in Mogadishu, Somalia
Firefighters in capital Mogadishu were able to put out a fierce fire that broke out in a market on Thursday and went late in to the night. The huge fire engulfed businesses and shops along a popular shopping complex by the side of Digfer road in Banadir junction in Mogadishu's Hodan district. Eyewitnesses who spoke to the media said the inferno was caused by a faulty electrical wiring which thereafter spread to adjacent shops and other business premises. An hour into the fire only local residents were captured in the glares of cameras frantically extinguishing the devastating inferno and were thereafter joined by Banadir Police led by the Banadir regional Police commander Farhan Qarole. Residents reported seeing large flames and billowing smoke in most parts of the city. Firefighters reached the scene when the fire got intense and battled with the blaze upto the wee hours of last night before they were able to put out the fire. Traders and business people said the fire was intense and it extensively destroyed shops and other businesses. Preliminary investigations have established that the inferno consumed property worth 25 million dollars. This is even as the city prepares to usher in the new administration of President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud who is set to take over from the President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed better known as Farmaajo on Monday according to sources close to the Presidency. President Mohamud now awaits a daunting task of dealing with the ballooning high cost of living and energy cost Al- Shabaab insurgency and convening a person one vote in the Horn of Africa Nation.