Farmaajo Moves To Ban Govt Officials From Signing Pacts Ahead Of Polls
President Farmajo issues decree banning government institutions from signing agreements during the elections period Mogadishu, August 07, 2021
His Excellency President Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo, in exercising the constitutional powers vested upon him, has today issued a Presidential Decree that bars all government institutions and officials against signing any agreement that touches the politics, economy and security of the country to safeguard the national assets and sovereignty of the Federal Republic of Somalia.
The President takes into account the political situation of the country and values the constitutional accountability of the Houses of Parliament in ratifying agreements and understandings entered between our republic and other countries, institutions and international companies.
The President also seeks to provide conducive operation of the ongoing electoral process.
The decree comes into effect immediately and suspends the following powers;
1. Signing agreements involving the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) government, and other executive bodies, international organizations, institutions and international companies
2. Until after the elections, all Ministries and government agencies are prohibited from entering agreements or talks on behalf of the Federal Government of Somalia that affect the future, sovereignty, the land and the sea of our country.
3. Until after the elections, ALL new trade agreements with other countries remain suspended.
4. Pursuant to the press statement issued by the President of the Republic on 19th January 2018 stating that public property may not be disbursed, and any agreement on the transfer, lease and any other procedure related to the benefit of public property may not be signed.
5. Finally, H.E the President instructs all government institutions to uphold and protect the dignity, nationhood and gains made in recent years.