× HomeAbout usAdvertisementContact us
5 Al-Shabab Fighters, 15 Civilians Killed as Hotel Siege ends in Nairobi after 19 hours
Africa

5 Al-Shabab Fighters, 15 Civilians Killed as Hotel Siege ends in Nairobi after 19 hours

Police in Kenya have announced the killing of 6 Al-Shabab terrorist. It is reported that least 15 Civilians were killed by the attackers who landed at the facilities 3 pm Tuesday. According to officials from the government owned Chiromo mortuary, at least 15 bodies had been moved to the facility by 2 am Wednesday morning . Identification papers indicated that 11 were Kenyans, 1 American and one was British. Two others could not immediately be identified as they had no papers on them. At 10 AM Wednesday, government released  gory images of the said attackers, lying in a pool of blood having been neutralized. The move ends a two day siege that had sent the country in to panic. A source told Radio Dalsan that  his relative was among 50 people evacuated by security forces at 4am on Wednesday morning. One attacker was a suicide bomber, the police said, detonating an explosion in the lobby of the seven-story DusitD2 Hotel. The number of other assailants, armed with grenades and guns, was not clear. Security camera footage released to local media outlets showed at least four armed men in the complex. The assault by the Shabab, an Islamist extremist group with ties to Al Qaeda that has carried out many attacks in eastern Africa, came on the eve of a verdict in the trial of three men accused of helping the Shabab orchestrate a deadly assault on a the Westgate shopping mall in Nairobi five years ago. Nairobi’s sprawling Village Market shopping complex, in the Gigiri neighborhood five miles away, closed temporarily after news of the attack broke, as a security precaution. The Shabab, which is based in Somalia, has been fighting the United Nations-backed government in Mogadishu, Somalia, for years, seeking to impose its strict interpretation of Islam.