× HomeAbout usAdvertisementContact us
BREAKING Govt Calls Off Constitution Convention After Protest From Parliament Review Body & Regional Ministers
Somali News

BREAKING Govt Calls Off Constitution Convention After Protest From Parliament Review Body & Regional Ministers

The Somalia National Constitutional Convention scheduled for Sunday has been postponed, Information Minister Abdirahman Omar Osman announced on Saturday. Osman cited "technical problems" as the reason for pushing the date to the convention that had already faced boycott from major stakeholders. The Ministry of Justice & Constitution Abdi Hosh had announced that the major convention would take place from October 8 to 10. But his announcement followed protest by regional Constitution ministers who declared they will boycott until ongoing frosty relation between Federal government is resolved. On Saturday two constitution review bodies added their voice and distanced themselves from the convention. The Joint Parliamentary Constitutional Oversight Committee and the Review and Implementation Commission (RIC) said at a press conference that the Ministry of Justice convened meeting was illegal, unconventional and "a forced move" by the Minister . The two bodies called on stakeholders and the international community to distance themselves from the "illegal conference"   “The two committees are warning the international organizations and donors that are interested in the affairs on the issues of the Constitutional Review not to take part nor to fund since it’s a disruption of the matters of the process on Constitutional Review and at the same time a coup on the responsibilities and powers of the 2 committees who have the onus for the Constitutional Review,” the joint press statement read by the chair Sen. Abdi Qeybdid The statement farther said that only the two review bodies had the mandate to convene the conference and not the Minister.